Heres the thing

Thoughts on ministry, faith, missions and more

Friday, April 06, 2007

THE TALK

Its always interesting to talk about sex within a high school and Jr High ministry. There are always little giggles, blushing faces, and the more than occasional comment from the students who are uncomfortable with the conviction they experience. This series was slightly different from the usual- "Don't have pare-marital sex" talk most churches give. Of course that's a part of it...but we wanted to do more than that. So after showing some"Satan Sex Ed" videos (which can be viewed on you tube) we dove into the questions students asked and ended with a talk about how to move forward when surrounded with so much sexual temptation.

I will say it was a tough series because we have students that will say outright that they are going to do what ever they want regardless of what we say. However there was some hope. To end the message students could respond by writing a letter to there future spouse. This is something I did as a sophomore in college before I meet my wife. She still has the letter...and I'm not sure how much she thinks about it...but when I placed it on our bed on our wedding night I knew it was one of the best gifts I could give her....It wasn't just a bunch of nice words...it was a commitment i made to be pure before I even new her...it was a gift of trust that can still be counted on today...it was even a gift to myself because it caused me to stay accountable to my own words- and because i still live up to those words today.

And so today I am still encouraged because there were students taking the time to write out the commitments and goals they have to stay pure and to give that as a gift yo their future husbands and wives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home